Nationwide Review Summary: Nationwide auto insurance offers little that stands out from the competition, aside from the company’s catchy commercial jingle. Nationwide’s car insurance coverage options are pretty basic, and their list of discounts is relatively limited compared to other auto insurers. Nationwide does, however, make it convenient to bundle auto insurance with other types of policies. It’s a one-stop shop.
One interesting thing to note about Nationwide car insurance is that it’s not available in all 50 states. Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Massachusetts are out of luck. You can learn more about Nationwide’s coverage options and policy discounts below. You can also see how they compare with top competitors like GEICO, State Farm and Allstate.
Nationwide Auto Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 4.1/5 (200 user reviews).
- Better Business Bureau: A+ rating (accredited).
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): Nationwide had fewer complaints than most car insurance companies in 2018.
Nationwide has received average ratings for overall customer satisfaction and claims support. Online complaints generally focus on high rates and claims servicing problems. Nationwide is on solid footing when it comes to financial strength, receiving an A+ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best, a leading credit rating agency in the U.S.
Fun Fact: Nationwide is an official sponsor of NASCAR and two-time Daytona 500 winner Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Nationwide Insurance Coverage Options
Nationwide offers standard and special coverage options for auto policies. The standard options include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, personal injury, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive – which are commonly required by state laws.
Customers can further customize their auto policies by adding special optional features such as rental reimbursement, towing coverage, gap coverage, and more.
Special Coverage Options from Nationwide Insurance:
- Accident Forgiveness: Protects your auto policy from a premium increase after an accident for which you are at fault.
- Roadside Assistance: Pays for the cost of towing, jump starts, fuel delivery, tire repairs and winching. This coverage also provides up to $100 for lockout services.
- Vanishing Deductible: Reduces your comprehensive and/or collision deductible by $100 each year for safe driving (up to $500).
- Total Loss Deductible Waiver: Waives your comprehensive or collision deductible if you completely total your car in an accident.
Nationwide also provides their customers with an annual On Your Side® Review at no extra cost, where an insurance professional reviews your existing policies to ensure that you are adequately protected.
Please note that coverage availability and details vary by state. Prospective customers are encouraged to call Nationwide to confirm coverage options in their states.
Specialty Types of Auto Insurance from Nationwide:
- Nationwide Classic Car Insurance for owners of antique cars, collector motorcycles, vintage race cars, military vehicles, antique tractors, and other classic vehicles.
- Nationwide Commercial Car Insurance for individuals who use their vehicles for business. In addition to the standard coverage options, you can also purchase special add-ons for your commercial policy, such as roadside assistance, new vehicle replacement, towing and more.
Nationwide also protects vehicles built for enjoying the great outdoors, offering insurance for motorcycles, RVs, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, boats, scooters and ATVs.
Sample Nationwide Car Insurance Quotes
WalletHub’s editors pulled sample Nationwide car insurance quotes for a total of six driver profiles. This sample is fairly representative of drivers across the U.S., but premiums may vary by state and coverage level.
|Sample Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$479 / month||$547 / month|
|30||$265 / month||$302 / month|
|42||$244 / month||$281 / month|
Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of the review.
- Multi-policy: $710 per year in savings on average when you buy both home and auto insurance policies from Nationwide.
- SmartRide®: 10% discount simply for enrolling in Nationwide’s usage-based, monitoring program. Participants can save up to 40% for safe driving habits. The mobile app or plug-in device monitors 4 components of your driving: miles driven, idle time, hard braking/acceleration, and nighttime driving.
- Safe driver: Discount for maintaining a clean driving record for at least 5 years. Drivers age 55+ with no at-fault accidents in the last 35 months may also be eligible for savings after completing a defensive driving course.
- Anti-theft: Discount for having an anti-theft device in your vehicle.
- Good student: Student drivers between the ages of 16 and 24 may be eligible for a discount when they maintain a B average or better.
- Easy Pay: A one-time discount when you sign up for autopay for your policy.
- Affinity member: Discount for individuals who belong to certain qualifying organizations, such as alumni associations, professional groups, etc. The amount of the discount varies.
- Paperless: Discount for choosing to receive your policy documents electronically.
Eligibility criteria for discounts vary by state, and not all discounts are available in all states.
Nationwide vs. GEICO, State Farm & Allstate
|Average Annual Premium||$4,122||$3,546||$3,925||$4,949|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||32nd||21st||26th||40th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best) (lower is best)||0.46||0.84||0.59||0.88|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2018 automotive insurance surveys.
In order to determine Nationwide’s ranking in the auto insurance industry, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest, most popular car insurance companies in the United States. We evaluated the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company, along with the types of drivers each is best positioned to serve.
More specifically, WalletHub’s Nationwide car insurance rating is based on a combination of factors, which research has shown to be particularly important for car insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Claims process
- Customer service
To gauge the level of customer satisfaction at Nationwide and other companies, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over the insurer’s share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. Put another way, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. The adjustment is necessary, as larger companies generally receive more complaints.
Assumptions for Nationwide Car Insurance Quotes:
Marital Status: Single
Car: Honda Accord
Comprehensive Deductible: $250
Collision Deductible: $500
Collision Deductible Waiver Add-on: Included
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
To calculate and compare the cost of Nationwide auto insurance, WalletHub collected quotes from all major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We obtained quotes from the state regulator’s database for drivers varying in age and driving record. For our sample quotes, a good driving record assumes no accidents. A poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. By receiving quotes for multiple driver profiles, WalletHub ensured a diverse sample. California was chosen given that it is the most populous state in the U.S. (12% of total population), and it lands in the middle of the price rankings in WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Nationwide car insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a review for Nationwide.
Was this article helpful?
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback.
Thank you for your feedback.