State Farm Review Summary: State Farm car insurance gives drivers essential coverage options and generous discounts, keeping people protected on the road at a fairly competitive price. State Farm ranks 26th out of 46 car insurance companies in WalletHub’s price comparison. State Farm also earns high marks from customers praising the personalized attention from local State Farm agents during the claims process.
Though other auto insurers have more extensive coverage options, State Farm’s menu more than adequately covers the nuts and bolts of a policy. With their solid reputation in the auto insurance industry and stellar claims support, State Farm deserves a spot near the top of every auto insurance shopper’s list.
In the sections below, learn more about State Farm’s featured coverage options, discounts, and how they compare against other major auto insurers like GEICO and Progressive.
State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews and Ratings
- WalletHub: 4.1/5 (417 user reviews).
- Better Business Bureau: Not rated and not accredited. State Farm is in the process of responding to previously closed complaints.
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): The number of complaints for State Farm auto insurance was lower than the national median for the auto insurance industry in 2018.
State Farm has earned average ratings in the customer service department. But the auto insurer has performed well in servicing claims, receiving high marks in a 2018 J.D. Power survey. Customer complaints online focus largely on high premiums and unexplained rate increases when it comes time for policy renewals.
State Farm is on great financial footing, earning the highest possible rating of A++ (Superior) from A.M. Best, one of the nation’s leading credit rating agencies for the insurance industry. Financial strength is an important indicator of an insurer’s ability to pay claims.
Fun Fact: State Farm is the largest auto insurance company in the United States with 44.1 million auto policies in force.
State Farm Auto Insurance Coverage Options
State Farm auto insurance offers all the major coverage options that are commonly required by states: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive.
State Farm also offers many extra coverage options, which can be added to your auto policy for enhanced protection.
Extra Coverage Options from State Farm Auto Insurance:
- Car Rental: Covers rental costs while your car is in the repair shop due to an accident. Policyholders must have comprehensive or collision coverage in order to add this coverage option.
- Travel Expense: Covers the cost of hotel reservations, meals and transportation, up to $500, if you are involved in an accident more than 50 miles from home and your vehicle becomes inoperable. Policyholders must have comprehensive or collision coverage to add this benefit.
- Rental Car Deductible: Covers your deductible expense if you have an accident in your rental car.
- Emergency Road Service: Pays for the cost of certain emergency roadside services, including towing, mechanical repair, fuel delivery, jump-starts, tire repairs, and locksmith services.
- Rideshare Driver Coverage: This add-on coverage extends your personal auto policy to protect you while you’re working. Rideshare coverage may add 15% to 20% to your auto policy premium. You can only get a personalized quote by calling a State Farm agent.
State Farm auto insurance sells policies nationwide. The availability and details of these coverage options vary by state.
Specialty Types of State Farm Auto Insurance:
- State Farm Business Auto Insurance for individuals who use their personal vehicles for business purposes. Types of vehicles include cars, dump trucks, utility trucks, and more.
- State Farm Sports Car Insurance for high-performance vehicles with engines designed for high speeds. State Farm offers specialized coverage to protect your investment.
- State Farm Collector & Classic Car Insurance for vehicles that are 10-25 years old and not driven on a regular basis. Vehicles over 25 years old are considered antiques, and State Farm insures those under a separate policy.
State Farm also insures a variety of recreational vehicles, including motorcycles, scooters, golf carts, ATVs, boats, watercraft, and more.
Availability and details of these specialty types of auto insurance vary by state.
Sample State Farm Car Insurance Quotes
|Sample Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$453 / month||$517 / month|
|30||$249 / month||$313 / month|
|42||$227 / month||$289 / month|
WalletHub’s editors obtained sample State Farm auto insurance quotes for a total of six driver profiles, which are fairly representative of drivers across the U.S. Premiums may vary by state, however, as well as the level of car insurance coverage you decide to purchase. Learn more about WalletHub’s Methodology.
State Farm Auto Insurance Discounts
- Safe Car: Up to 40% discount if your vehicle was manufactured in 1994 or later. The amount of the discount depends on the make, model, and repair history of the vehicle.
- Vehicle Safety Equipment: Up to 40% discount if your vehicle has air bags, automatic seat belts, and anti-theft device installed.
- Multiple Auto: Up to 20% discount if you insure two or more cars with State Farm.
- Multiple Line: Up to 17% discount if you have multiple lines of insurance with State Farm (e.g., home, life, condo, etc.).
- Drive Safe & Save™: 5% discount for simply for enrolling in this driving monitoring program, which can be activated via your mobile app or your vehicle’s OnStar® system. Get an additional discount of up to 30% on your next policy renewal for safe driving.
- Accident-Free: Discount when you remain accident-free for 3 consecutive years. The amount of the discount varies but is cumulative – that is, the more years you stay accident-free, the more you will save.
- Defensive Driving: Discount for completing a driver safety course. The amount of the discount varies depending on where you live.
- Good Driving: Discount for remaining accident- and violations-free for at least 3 years. Only new State Farm customers are eligible.
- Young Driver Training: Discount for a driver under the age of 21 completing a driver’s education course.
- Away at School: Discount when your student driver (under the age of 25) is attending school away from home.
- Good Student: Up to 25% discount when you get good grades in high school or college. Only students under 25 years old are eligible.
- Steer Clear®: Up to 15% discount when young drivers (under 25 years old) enroll in this driving monitoring program. To qualify, you must not have had any at-fault accidents or traffic violations in the past 3 years. Participants are also required to take 5 training modules and complete 5 hours of driving (at least 10 trips).
Eligibility criteria for discounts vary by state, and not all discounts are available in all states.
State Farm Car Insurance vs GEICO, Allstate & Progressive
|Average Annual Premium||$3,925||$3,546||$4,949||$3,422|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||26th||21st||40th||17th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best) (lower is best)||0.59||0.84||0.88||0.70|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2018 automotive insurance surveys.
In order to determine State Farm’s ranking in the auto insurance industry, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest, most popular car insurance companies in the United States. We evaluated the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company, along with the types of drivers each is best positioned to serve.
More specifically, WalletHub’s Nationwide car insurance rating is based on a combination of factors, which research has shown to be particularly important for car insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Customer service
- Claims process
To help gauge the level of customer satisfaction with State Farm, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over the insurer’s share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. Put another way, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. The adjustment is necessary, as larger companies generally receive more complaints.
For price comparison, WalletHub collected quotes from major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California, using driver profiles with different ages and driving records from the state regulator’s database. California was chosen because of its large population and middle-of-the-road position in WalletHub’s national car insurance price rankings. A good driving record assumes no accidents or traffic violations.
Assumptions for Nationwide Car Insurance Quotes:
Marital Status: Single
Car: Honda Accord
Comprehensive Deductible: $250
Collision Deductible: $500
Collision Deductible Waiver Add-on: Included
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with State Farm car insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a State Farm auto insurance review.
Was this article helpful?
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback.
Thank you for your feedback.