Chelsea have confirmed that they have agreed terms with Real Madrid for the sale of Thibaut Courtois.
The deal will see the Croatian midfielder Mateo Kovacic join the Blues on a season-long loan.
Courtois has long been linked with a move to the Spanish capital, where he used to play for Atletico Madrid and where his family are still based.
He has refused to return to Chelsea’s pre-season training ahead of the new campaign in a bid to force through his move to Real, who see him as their new No.1 to replace Keylor Navas.
The Belgian goalkeeper – who won the Golden Glove award for the best keeper at the World Cup in the summer – had just one year remaining on his Blues contract, and is now expected to be replaced at Stamford Bridge by the Spanish goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, who will become the most expensive keeper in the world at £71m.
Midfielder Kovacic was part of the Croatia squad which reached the final of the World Cup, but has always struggled for game-time at the Bernabeu since joining from Inter Milan three years ago.
He’s played 109 times for the club, scoring three goals.
A statement on Chelsea’s website read:
“We have tonight agreed terms with Real Madrid for the transfer of Thibaut Courtois, subject to the agreement of personal terms and a medical.
“As part of the deal, Mateo Kovacic will join Chelsea on a season-long loan.”
No feed items found.
- 50+ Intelligent Questions To Ask During A Job Interview
- The Craziest Celebrity Gossip I’ve Ever Heard In Real Life
- 50 Hilarious Sign Language Gestures
- Exactly What You Need To Let Go Of This December, Based On Your Zodiac Sign
- 50 Thoughtful Last Minute Christmas Gifts For Procrastinators
- 11 Things To Remember As 2018 Comes To An End And 2019 Begins
- In 2019, Make A Resolution To Act More Selfish
- You’re Not Bored, You’ve Outgrown Your Life
- This Journaling Exercise Is The #1 Way Highly Successful People Achieve Everything They Want
- 19 People You Should Aim To Be In 2019
- How Modern Dating Screws With Your Self-Esteem
- 20 Signs You Have A Crush And Don’t Want To Admit It
- How To Make The Most Of The Last Days Of 2018, Based On Your Zodiac Sign
- 8 Reasons Why Understanding The Shortness Of Life Will Set You Free
- When You Love Someone, You Don’t Give Them A Reason To Doubt You