Breakfast isn’t always the most nutritious meal of the day. Many people turn to cereals, muffins, or bagels for a quick bite, promising to make lunch and dinner more healthy. But you can easily do yourself a favor and get more fiber, vitamins, and minerals from your morning meal by using veggies in your breakfast favorites. You don’t even have to worry about eating salad for your first meal of the day. Check out these recipes to see how delicious it can be to eat vegetables for breakfast.
1. Sweet Potato, Red Pepper, and Feta Frittata
Enjoying a frittata for breakfast is an easy way to get in your nutrients, and these egg dishes are great for busy weekdays. If you prepare a frittata ahead of time on Sunday night, you can have a healthy breakfast waiting for you Monday through Friday. Frittatas also come packed with fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins. This sweet potato, red pepper, and feta frittata from Cookie and Kate is a healthy breakfast that will fill you up without filling you out.
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato (¾-pound), peeled and chopped into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, ribbed, seeded, and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅔ cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ to ½ cup crumbled feta (2 to 3 ounces)
Head to Cookie and Kate for the full recipe.