Midnight snacking may not be good for you (uncontrolled late-night eating could lead to weight gain and sleep problems), but it’s a habit many of us indulge in from time to time. If your stomach is rumbling late at night, try whipping up one of these healthier alternatives rather than reaching for a bag of chips or a handful of cookies.
1. Oatmeal with Berries, Walnuts, Spices, and Creamy Milk
Not only are the whole grains in oatmeal good for you, but this carb-heavy snack will also boost your serotonin, which can help calm you down and make it easier to sleep. “A cup of oatmeal made with milk is the perfect snack before bed,” Michael Breus, Ph.D., author of The Sleep Doctor’s Diet, told Details. This recipe from The Picky Eater also includes healthy berries and nuts.
- ½ cup rolled oats or multi-grain oats
- 1½ cups water
- ½ to ¾ cup of frozen organic wild blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup 1% organic milk, unsweetened soy milk, or unsweetened almond milk
- Stevia, agave, or honey to taste
Directions: Cook the oats with the water in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, and cook again in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes more until all the water is absorbed.
Stir in the blueberries, cinnamon, flax seed, and walnuts. Add the milk and your sweetener of choice and stir until the oatmeal reaches your preferred consistency.