The type of sex addiction that most Americans know is wrong. Sex addiction is not having insatiable sex demands. The term is used in colleges, but wrongly. The real meaning of sex addiction is having an obsession with sex and possessing abnormal sexual traits that can damage someone or their families.
Symptoms of sex addiction include failure to stop harmful unwanted sexual activities, depression, legal problems related to sex, workplace misconduct arising from sex, loss of control over sex life and intense sex drive. Although a recently-discovered disorder, sex addiction is real, and avoiding it at all costs is the most sure thing to do.
Sex addiction is common from early to mid-adulthood, and its onset depends on multiple factors.
Types of Sexual Addiction
- Spending much time watching pornography
- Making unacceptable sexual advances at coworkers, friends or relatives
- Spending much money on escorts and prostitutes
- Exposing oneself too much in public
- Masturbating in public
- Masturbating for at least 4 times a day
- Engaging in extramarital affairs
The following are facts associated with sex addiction:
- Sex addicts are unable to come out of the habit just like in other addictions.
- 1 out of every 3 men is addicted to watching or reading pornography.
- Patients with bipolar disorder are likely to get hooked on this habit.
- A significant percentage of the addicts are victims of childhood sexual They develop abnormal sex habits because to them; sex is a reminder of suffering.
- To them, sex is a drug that helps them to escape from self-hatred, anger, loneliness or anxiety amongst other feelings.
- Most addicts, when finally caught in their acts appreciate it. This is because they feel shy or fear discrimination if their abnormalities are known. As such, when revealed, they can open up and receive help.
- The patients receive psychological support to overcome their past
- Support from family or partner goes a long way in making them feel loved and welcome
- Medication to reduce increased sexual intensity is given if the sex urge is uncontrollable
Sex addiction is real just like other health disorders. In as much as it appears laughable, the addicts suffer a lot and may end up with complicated disorders such as depression.
If you feel that any information has been left out, please note it down in the comments section.