Kathryn Mayorga has accused Cristiano Ronaldo of raping her in a Las Vegas hotel room nine years ago.
The Juventus star was on holiday in Sin City in 2009 with his cousin and brother-in-law when he met the part-time model.
During the alleged incident, she claimed Ronaldo said he was “99 per cent a good guy” who was let down by the “one per cent”.
But after her wide-ranging interview with Der Spiegel, slammed by Ronaldo as “fake news”, just who is Kathryn Mayorga – and what does she say happened that night?
Who is Kathryn Mayorga?
Former Girl Scout Kathryn played football – or soccer – as she grew up in her native Las Vegas. She told Der Speigel she suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder, as well as a learning disability.
After attending college she completed a degree in journalism from the University of Nevada.
There she married bartender and part-time computer repairman in 2008, before they split a year later. She moved back in with her parents, mum Cheryl and father Larry, a firefighter for 32 years.
(Image: Splash News)
Then a budding model, Kathryn, then 25, also had a job with casinos who hired pretty, young girls to hang outside nightclubs and help lure in guests.
She described this job as like ‘being on a night out with your friends’.
After the incident the 34-year-old worked in an elementary school, but she has since quit that job when she took the allegations public as she ‘needs all her strength now’. She is currently in hiding.
What does she say happened that night?
Ronaldo was on holiday with his brother in law and cousin in Las Vegas ahead of his massive move from Manchester United to Real Madrid on June 13, 2009.
Kathryn had been working that night but said when she then went out partying with friends. She claims she hadn’t had consumed much alcohol as she was on a strict diet.
In the Rain nightclub her friend, well known in the nightclub scene, told her to come to meet someone. Rumours had gone around the club that a very famous soccer player was there.
(Image: Splash News)
She told Der Speigil she initially didn’t want to join Ronaldo’s table, but he got her a drink and introduced her to his entourage.
She says they chatted, he asked her for her number. She gave it to him and he left.
She added that soon after Ronaldo texted her, inviting her and friends to their party in a penthouse at the Palms, where there was a jacuzzi.
She went into the bathroom to change and claims Ronaldo walked in. She claims he came on ‘very strong’ before the alleged incident.
What happened after?
Hours later media outlets picked up pictures of Kathryn and Ronaldo talking in the nightclub.
But despite a flurry of calls and texts, Kathryn claims she was in pain and wasn’t thinking about any attention being seen with a global star may bring.
Hours later she called Nevada Police, but refused to say who her alleged attacker was. She went to hospital to be examined and was treated for two hours.
Three weeks later she made a more complete statement to police.
Kathryn’s lawyer approached Ronaldo’s representative in mid-2009. A list of questions was provided to Ronaldo and his entourage about the night, which they answered.
In answers attributed to Ronaldo, he admitted having consensual sex with the woman.
In the US many sexual assaults claims are reconciled by out of court settlements, meaning the case never goes to trial. In 2010 the two parties met to start mediating.
Kathryn’s family hired an old family friend as attorney, while Ronaldo had a team of lawyers.
The interview claims a sum was agreed of $375,000 (£276,000) – which is roughly what Ronaldo earned in one week at his new club Real Madrid.
Kathryn says the reason she signed the contract is because she didn’t want her name to come out.
Why has she changed her mind?
She has a new lawyer in Leslie Mark Stovall who has 30 years of experience in Las Vegas courts. He believes the original agreement is unlawful due to Kathryn’s mental state at the time.
They have now filed a civil complaint against Ronaldo.
Also the #MeToo movement against high profile people such as Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby has made the landscape change for woman who claim to be the victims of sexual assualt.
What does Ronaldo say?
Cristiano Ronaldo has appeared to respond to the rape accusations.
Lawyers for the former Manchester United star are to take legal action against Der Spiegel over “blatantly illegal” allegations by an American woman she was raped nine years ago by the star.
Ronaldo took part in an Instagram live earlier this week where he responded to fans’ questions on a variety of topics.
It is unclear what exact question was asked before Ronaldo seemingly dismissed the allegations.
Looking into the camera, the Juventus star said: “No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news.
“They want to promote [themselves by using] my name. It’s normal.
“They want to be famous to say my name, but it is part of the job. I am a happy man and all good.”
Ronaldo’s lawyer Christian Schertz said in a statement the report was “an inadmissible reporting of suspicions in the area of privacy”, and that he would seek legal redress for his client from the magazine.
No feed items found.
- 50 Singles Reveal The Red Flag They Shouldn’t Have Ignored At The Start Of Their Relationship
- 50 Survival Tips For Living With Your Forever Person
- Read This If You’re Wondering Why the Hell Life Is So Hard
- 9 Ways Old Souls View Success Differently
- Maybe You’re Not Unmotivated, Maybe You’re Just Staring At A Dead End
- 19 One-Sentence Resolutions To Make In 2019
- I Love Myself So I Am Letting You Go
- The Best Skincare Products I Bought In 2018
- I Can’t Wait To See What Happens For You In 2019
- The Willingness To Give Up Is The #1 Sign Of A Strong Heart And Clear Mind
- This 30 Day Challenge Will Help You Purge What’s Holding You Back And Enter 2019 Refreshed
- Don’t Text Me If You Are Going To Drop The Conversation
- A Brief History Of Men Not Learning Anything About Me On Dates
- In 2019, Put Effort Into Loving Yourself
- What Each Zodiac Sign Should Stop Stressing Over On December 7