Tomato soup is customizable and thus can appeal to every kind of eater. Some carnivores like meat in their soup, while other vegans want it to be cream-free. Whatever dietary regime you subscribe to, rest assured there’s a tomato soup recipe for you, and we’re highlighting seven of them. Follow one of these recipes and make a tomato soup batch of your own.
1. Classic Tomato Soup
First up is a classic tomato soup recipe from Fine Cooking. The silky soup is full and hearty and the perfect pool into which your grilled cheese should dive. There are no funky ingredients on this soup’s ingredients list, just whole plum tomatoes, butter, broth, and herbs. It’ll take you less than an hour to make, and leftovers freeze beautifully.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons. thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of all 3
Head to Fine Cooking for the full recipe.