Newcastle end up with cash profit
Rafa Benitez landed his seventh signing – but Newcastle ended up making a cash profit on the transfer window, reports Mirror Football’s Simon Bird.
Federico Fernandez, who played for Benitez at Napoli, was signed from Swansea for £6m.
The deal means Newcastle have made of £20m this summer while rivals have spend tens of millions.
That is despite Mike Ashley promising “every last penny the club generated” to Benitez for squad building.
Fernandez, 29, signed a two year deal and has 32 caps for Argentina.
Benitez said: “It was an easy decision to bring him here. He is experienced, a very good professional and will add competition in defence.”
Benitez missed out on many of his top targets but has arguably been left with a slightly stronger squad than this time last season.
He was denied big funds because he would not sign a new long term deal. Instead this is likely to be his last season on Tyneside, after also being denied cash to revamp the training ground and academy.
Fernandez said: “I am happy to be here. It is a new challenge and I am excited to meet all the players and staff.”
Ashley is facing growing discontent from fans who are holding protests this weekend.
The club accounts indicated that United had a potential to spend £50m and give Benitez a chance of pushing into the top eight, and challenge for cups.
Fans have launched a campaign asking: “Where’s all the money gone?”
Newcastle banked £123m from last season’s Premier League campaign, make another £40m, and have a wage bill under £100m.
The club is cash rich and ready for a takeover if a buyer meets Ashley’s £400m asking price.
No feed items found.
- 50+ Intelligent Questions To Ask During A Job Interview
- The Craziest Celebrity Gossip I’ve Ever Heard In Real Life
- 50 Hilarious Sign Language Gestures
- Exactly What You Need To Let Go Of This December, Based On Your Zodiac Sign
- 50 Thoughtful Last Minute Christmas Gifts For Procrastinators
- 11 Things To Remember As 2018 Comes To An End And 2019 Begins
- In 2019, Make A Resolution To Act More Selfish
- You’re Not Bored, You’ve Outgrown Your Life
- This Journaling Exercise Is The #1 Way Highly Successful People Achieve Everything They Want
- 19 People You Should Aim To Be In 2019
- How Modern Dating Screws With Your Self-Esteem
- 20 Signs You Have A Crush And Don’t Want To Admit It
- How To Make The Most Of The Last Days Of 2018, Based On Your Zodiac Sign
- 8 Reasons Why Understanding The Shortness Of Life Will Set You Free
- When You Love Someone, You Don’t Give Them A Reason To Doubt You